Deciding where to send your children to school is one of the biggest decisions of parenthood – and it is increasingly related to where you decide to buy a home in adulthood.
Property professionals say homes close to top schools regularly achieve sale-price premiums compared to neighbouring areas. “We know that school information is important to people looking to buy property,” explains Chas Everitt Nelson Mandela Bay principal, Charlotte Vermaak. “Speaking from experience I would say almost a third of our home hunters ask about local schools during a viewing.
“Some are moving to accommodate a growing family, and some need to move due to other circumstances which will also mean that their children have to change schools.”
How to buy near good schools
- Plan well ahead. There is nothing worse than finding a dream house then realising you are too late to enroll your child at the local school
- Expect to pay a property premium in areas near good schools. It will be money well invested
- Head teachers set the whole tone for a school. Find out when they are likely to retire
- Look into transport logistics. Some popular schools have a twice-a-day traffic gridlock
- Try to meet with parents who already have their children enrolled in the school and find out what they think of it. Some might even become your first friends in your new neighbourhood!
One property currently available near a popular Port Elizabeth school is a large four-bedroom home close to Westering High School which is for sale through Chas Everitt Nelson Mandela Bay for R1,245,000. Airy living areas, spacious bedrooms are ready to create memories, and an inviting pool is set in a luscious garden to escape to after work.
To find out more visit the Chas Everitt website or call Heidi Douglas, 083 335 3862 or Sharon Alvarez, 082 673 2154.